Friday, October 9, 2015

Sample Photo for Wednesday's Image Presentation

Here's the photo I will present to you on Wednesday. To see a larger version, click on the photo.


Two benches, a coffee table and a tree in a blue pot (centre background). How can this possibly represent community?

First off, this is the front yard of a neighbour's house, not the back. People who live on my street are always welcome to sit (it's a sunny spot) and rest or contemplate. But, more importantly, the tree in the blue pot is in memory of a neighbour of mine, one who had a profound effect on all who live near me. She (I won't name her since I want to preserve my privacy as a teacher.) died last year, suddenly, from cancer.

Where I live, I know my neighbours. I've been living on this street for nearly 30 years. The woman who died, a wife and mother, always took the time to have a conversation whenever we met on daily errands. She employed my daughter as a babysitter and her husband and I go back 35 years to when we met while working at a community centre in Vancouver. They moved to my street intentionally, because of the community feeling we share.

When she died, my neighbours knew they needed to do something to honour her memory. That's how the tree was added to the benches that were already there. Last year, on her birthday, we met together, shared stories, sang and remembered her. It was a short ceremony but a very important moment. To me, community is walking down the street and being greeted by name, catching up on the latest news and, sometimes, sitting down and remembering those who have left us.

NOTE: The post for your "Temple Grandin" comment is below this one. Please post asap if you have not done so already. I will be back on Wednesday and very much look forward to your images and ideas in your second presentation of the term.

1 comment:

INDERJIT DHATT said...

Towards the initial part of the movie, there is one particular scene that captures my attention. It is also relevant to the plot of the movie on the whole. This is the scene where Temple uses squeeze machine for the first time. The scene begins with Temple returning to her room and realizing that the name label on her room had been accidently removed. On learning this, she is visible distressed and shocked. This has been visualized effectively in movie by specifically focusing on the on the imaging process that goes in the brain of an autistic person. For instance it shows the movement of the blades of the fan which she interprets as hostile and alien. As a means to find refuge she goes to the squeezing machine. She is familiar to the fact that the machine is employed to calm cows. Therefore by that understanding she uses it to calm herself. Her aunt, who has been anxiously perusing her till this point, reluctantly closes the machine. The satisfying expression of Temple on the completion of this act is very strong and conveys an equally strong message by the means of visualization of emotions. The strength of the scene has also been complimented by the background music and acting skills.